Thursday, October 7, 2010

An intro on America

Three men sit on a bench. These men are waiting for the bus. They all have in mind to go different places for different reasons.

As they wait for the bus they see another man walking by. The first man on the bench sees the other man has a nice hat but it’s tarnished and his watch is gilded. He notices that the look on the man’s face looks like he’s lost, but not too concerned. The second man sees that the other man has a wedding band, and though it may be gilded too, it is kept as clean as if it wasn’t. He also slightly recognizes the man from someone he might have seen at a church or a volunteer project. The third man sees that the other man looks slightly at the other two men on the bench but pays no attention to him. He resents the man, but knows that he will get on the bus and go to the places he wants to with or without the man.

I am the bus driver. I pull up and let the men in, hearing their murmurs about what they just thought as they go by. I think about what they said as I too look at the man walking. I consider what the men, now in the bus, said but I do not dwell on what he looks like or what he’s doing or what he might say. I wonder at where he’s going, and why he’s going there. I hear the criticisms for how the man may be getting there, but I believe in the man, and I believe in his Ideals, and I believe in where he might go. So I pull up a little farther and ask if I can help get the man to where he is going.

2 comments: