Friday, October 22, 2010

Day in the Lit


Ok so I was driving on my way to work today and heard this song and remembered our poetry analysis in class, thus I decided to get to work and, while on brake, blog about this song.

I read the news today, oh boy . . .
About a lucky man who made the grade;
And though the news was rather sad,
Well, I just had to laugh—
I saw the photograph . . .

He blew his mind out in a car;
He didn't notice that the lights had changed.
A crowd of people stood and stared;
They'd seen his face before;
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.

I saw a film today, oh boy;
The English Army had just won the war.
A crowd of people turned away;
But I just had to look,
Having read the book.
I'd love to turn you on . . .

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head;
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup;
And looking up, I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat,
Made the bus in seconds flat;
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke;
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream . . .

I read the news today, oh boy;
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire;
And though the holes were rather small,
They had to count them all.
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on . . .

Ok so in the first stana it tells how this man read the news about some guy who "made the grade." and the author laughed at it. Then in the second stanza he tells how the man "blew his mind out in a car," (ie. went crazy with anger). And these people watching him wondered if he was a government official. Next stanza tells how english won the war, people looked away but the author kept looking because he's read "the book" (Bible?) and also he'd love to turn you on...like sexually or turn me on to a better way of living.

Next stanza is completely different. The rhyming scheme in the last three stanza had only one pair of lines that rhymed, usually at the end as some after though. This stanza every other PAIR of lines rhyme. Where the stanza rhymes the narrator is doing something good (ex. getting up, brushing his hair, getting dressed, taking the bus); however when the rhyme brakes the author is late, smoking, day dreaming, all things that society condemns.

The last stanza goes back to the original rhyme scheme ending with "turn you on" again. This stanza makes many reference to british culture with I have neither the time, nor will to look up.

To finish I feel this song is a prospective of a day in the life of two separate people, signified by the difference in rhyming schemes and is making a comment on how people who "make the grade," who fill their life with monotony and busyness don't live a full life, but rather people who are free, dreamers, poets, singer-song writers live lives that are full, at least to them.

1 comment: