Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Poetry Response 2 (pretend its not late)

Like the great philosopher Three Days Grace once said, "Its not too late, its never too late."

Moving on to this weeks poem I've decided to read "Blackberries for Amelia."


So just giving my first impression of the poem: while reading it I picture scenes from The Sound of Music -although I think they pick blueberries, also what I immediately notice is the chronologic pattern in the story going from spring ("June"ish) to fall ("August"ish.)

Reading it over more, in the first stanza I picture the scene from Fantasia 2000 where mother earth simply touches barren ground and it bursts out with plants and trees.

I'm confused with the relevance of the third stanza. It seems to be talking about the expansion of the universe and how all the stars are moving away from us; but I don't see its relevance in the seasons, or flowers, or grandchildren.

I like the time vs. change comparison between autumn and the author.

Also I don't understand the relationship between picking ripe berries and the need for (a) grandchild(ren.)

Sorry for the brevity of the post and its lateness,

But thank you for reading,

Dustin Trembath

1 comment:

  1. You make some interesting media/cinema connections here. I think it's mostly just a memory that captures the passing of time, but maybe I'm just not that deep. ;)

    ReplyDelete