Sunday, August 29, 2010

You're a racist and you didn't even know it...

So seeing as I wasn't there for the "White Man's Burden" analysis, I figure I'll kill two birds with one stone and tackle the poetry blog post and the potential racism at the same time.

Lets see it:




Alright, I was going to begin with this epic explanation of how "I've used this in history and think it's satirical" but rereading it, I don't have a clue what its about.
How about we try taking it but stanzas.

Stanza 1: Of course "best ye breed" is a reference to Crackers
"Sons to exile"-maybe like sending them to colonize foreign lands; but that doesn't make sense with-"To serve your captives need;"
And the "half-devil and half-child" reference to myself, or the fact these people are evil and ignorant.

Stanza 2: Vail terror-by showing our domination, Check pride-by criticism for being hegemonic.
"To seek another's profit, and work another's gain." Strikes me as interesting but I’m not sure what it means. Use of parallelism signifies its importance, but an example of searching for something someone else has, then profiting of it... is something that just doesn't come to mind.

Stanza 3: I think this stanza is mainly " Humanitarian efforts (peace) is always cut by minority nature (savage wars.) Even if you feed the hungry and heal the sick, when your task is nearly completed, the laziness and folly of heathens will ruin you're entire effort."

Stanza 4: Summery: "don't deal with the flashy cheapness of politics, but deal with the workings of servants. It is servants and not kings who will allow you to explore. Like the pyramids have living servants make it, and fill it with dead kings." alot of this is a stretch.

Stanza 5:Contains some kinda of soliloquy but have no clue what it means.

Stanza 6: Basically saying don't do less than your best, don't run from your task, for if you do the people will judge you and your god based on your actions. "Look good for Jesus"

Stanza 7: This one makes me think satire again because of the stress with " Judgment of your peers." Which is basically the only statement I can make out of this one.


So all of this considered I feel the poem could be either; but if this were a poem on the AP test I’d make a poorly supported argument saying he was racist using some examples I pulled out.

Over all I feel this post was an epic fail.

Apologetically and Thankfully yours,

Dusty Trem-mc-mc-bath'n

2 comments:

  1. you're very interesting and I enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking killing two birds! Like your background--much more interesting and "you." :)

    I think you underestimate yourself.

    ReplyDelete